On the map: Objectives and suitability
The course will help attendees to:
- work with the latest version of the ArcGIS Desktop suite and recognise its different components and licences.
- understand the different data types and structures dealt with by a GIS and how to manage them effectively.
- create a geo-database and populate it with data from a variety of sources (e.g. CAD packages, MS Excel) and formats.
- geo-reference and digitise image data.
- understand the principles of datums and map projections and why this knowledge is crucial to the integrity of any dataset.
- export spatial data to other software e.g. Petrel, SMT or Google Earth.
- perform spatial queries on data layers to provide answers to location dependent questions.
- use cartographic techniques to present the results of analysis in a variety of paper and digital formats.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for people interested in analysing and managing oil and gas data with the following skills:
- familiarity with the Windows XP operating system.
- familiarity with an office application suite, such as Microsoft Office.
Previous GIS experience is not necessary.